I am a human rights researcher, community worker, and writer based in Assam. Currently, I am working on my Ph.D. thesis on Assam’s citizenship crisis at Athena Institute, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam under Prof. Dr. J.G.F. Bunders-Aelen (promoter), Dr. H. Mander (co-promoter), and Dr. E.E. de Wit (co-promoter).
Along with my Ph.D. project, I am involved in the following research projects:
- Reimagining Citizenship: The politics of India’s amended citizenship laws – This is a University of York project funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council, United Kingdom. The Principal Investigator of the project is Dr. Indrajit Roy and I will work as one of the Co-Investigators with Dr. Harsh Mander, Ms. Natasha Badhwar, Professor Mujibur Rehman, Dr. K Ravi Raman, and Dr. M. Mohsin Alam Bhat.
- ‘Making’ and ‘Unmaking’ of citizens in Assam – This project is commissioned by the University of Warwick, UK. The project explores the politics and processes being mobilised to ‘make’ and ‘unmake’ citizens in the state of Assam, India. My role in the project is of a Research Associate with the responsibility of data collection, analysis, and co-writing academic articles. The project team consists of Prof. Virinder Kalra, Prof. Nisha Kapoor, and Dr. Saba Hussain.
- Understanding the NRC Process: Social Workers and Community Perspectives – a project headed by Prof. Rupaleem Bhuyan, University of Toronto. I am one of the Investigators in the project along with Dr. Madhumita Sarma and Anupal Bordoloi.
- Rethinking Citizenship and Belonging in Northeast India – the project seeks to develop an analytical framework on contemporary issues of migration and social exclusion, while also exploring inclusive citizenship practices. The project is headed by Prof. Urmitapa Dutta, University of Massachusetts Lowell. I am engaged in the project as a Community Partner.
- Citizenship and the Mass Production of Statelessness in Assam – this project examines the conceptualisation, operationalisation and implications of the NRC from the perspective of the analytical framework of exclusion from public goods. I am working as the lead investigator along with Dr. M. Mohsin Alam Bhat and Dr. Harsh Mander. The outcome of this project will be published as a chapter in the India Exclusion Report 2019-20.
I was involved in a number of research projects with various institutions and individuals in different capacities. Some of the projects are outlined below:
- Weaved into the fabric of life: a qualitative exploration on impact of water-related disasters – The project was commissioned by The George Institute for Global Health and headed by Dr. Jognoor Jognoor, Senior Lecturer, The University of New South Wales. I was the Site Investigator for the project.
- Making Foreigner: Report on NRC Updation in Assam and The Risk of Mass Statelessness – The project was commissioned by United Against Hate and I worked as Principal Investigator with Dr. Sajjad Hassan.
- Status of Women and Children in Char areas of Assam – The project was commissioned by All India Disaster Mitigation Institute and funded by UNICEF. The project examined the status of women and children in the flood and erosion affected areas of Assam. I was the Lead Researcher for the project.
- Mapping of Children Affected by Violence in Assam – The project was commissioned by Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Guwahati, and funded by UNICEF. This project had both research and intervention for peacebuilding in the conflict-affected districts of Assam. I was one of the Research Fellows.
- National Human Rights Commission’s Mission to Assam’s Detention Centre – I was one of the Researchers with NHRC’s Special Monitor of Minority Issues Dr. Harsh Mander mission to the detention centre to study the human rights condition of detainees.
Along with research and academic engagement, I regularly write for newspapers and journals like Caravan Magazine, The Wire, Scroll, Al Jazeera among others on the issues of human rights violation and minority issues in Assam.
I have been selected for the “Protective Writing Fellowship for Human Rights Defenders at Centre for Applied Human Rights, University of York, UK”.